Iron & Steelworks, 1936-1974
From the interwar years on into the 1970s, the company constructed many of the major iron and steelworks which formed the backbone of the UK’s industrial might. Early commercial construction contracts included plants at Ebbw Vale, Port Talbot, Rotherham and Livingston. The company was also responsible for the Spencer steelworks at Llanwern which, when awarded, was the largest civil engineering contract ever let in Britain.
As the 1970s dawned, work began on the vast Anchor steelworks at Scunthorpe. The project involved the excavation of 7½ million cubic metres of earth and nearly two million tonnes of steel slag.