The Spark, Newcastle is our fourth project on the Newcastle Helix Science Park Development.
We've previously been involved on The Helix in constructing nearby developments, The Lumen, The Core and the Frederick Douglass Building.
- Sector: Commercial
- Scope: Grade A offices over 12 floors providing 9,862m2 office space and a GIFA of 142,110ft2
- Client: Legal & General
- Contract: negotiated single stage tender JCT D&B contract
- Dates: Commenced on site September 2019. Completion due September 2021.
Here Project Manager Mark Robson shares more.
Key milestones passed and upcoming
- Structural steel erection completed with upper floor slabs cast
- Internal fitout progressing at pace
- Façade curtain walling and rainscreen installation on-going. Red aluminium feature cladding installation due to progress shortly
- Multi-storey car park groundworks on-going
Key project challenges
- Tight site footprint, surrounding buildings and nearby student community (close to public spaces)
- Maintaining vehicular access directly through construction site between Spark building and MSCP for Lumen fit out contractors
Innovative design and collaborative working
The Spark project team used innovative design and worked collaboratively with key members of the supply chain when considering how to install the permanent handrail at the same time as the precast stairs and landings into the 12 storey concrete cores. Through careful planning and management of the design, the solution reduced health and safety risks whilst providing a substantial benefit to the construction programme.
By developing a casting socket into the precast stairs when they craned the stairs into position, they were able to drop the handrails into position too, reducing three months' work to 10 days per core. The team have scored additional points with the Considerate Constructors Scheme for this and the following:
- Empatica epilepsy watch – implemented for use by a team member who suffered from epilepsy. The watch monitors when a seizure occurs and sends text messages to key members of the site team who can quickly attend to help the staff member suffering the seizure.
- Mastclimbers - bespoke trays fabricated in aluminium and installed between gap in handrail to building, designed to reduce risk of falling objects during façade installation.