- Client: NHS Trusts (Nationwide)
- Sector: Healthcare
- Location: Nationwide
- Service: Construction
Supporting our NHS healthcare heroes with Nightingale hospitals
During the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic in April 2020, we were proud to support the delivery of NHS Nightingale hospitals across the UK including Manchester, Jersey and Preston.
It has been truly inspirational to witness the efforts of our healthcare teams who worked collaboratively, sharing their expertise to deliver NHS Nightingale hospitals in response to Covid-19.
NHS Nightingale Hospital North West, Manchester Central Convention Complex
Delivered by Integrated Health Projects (IHP) our joint venture with VINCI Construction UK under the ProCure 22 Framework and working alongside NHS staff, the Army, Mott MacDonald, BDP and NG Bailey, up to 1,000 people worked 24-hours a day to complete the 750-bed hospital from scratch in a grade-2 listed building in less than two weeks.
The hospital was equipped to receive up to 750 coronavirus patients from across the region who do not need intensive care but still required treatment.
The project has been an excellent example of collaboration across all construction disciplines, local government, the military and the NHS. IHP were asked to proceed on 28 March 2020 and within 12 hours our team was up and running in liaison with the NHS and the Army and the facility was handed over 13 days after construction began.
The 14,500m² of flooring could cover Wembley Stadium twice over; there is 104km of data cable that is the same distance as a return journey from Manchester to Liverpool; there is 45km of power cable and the 3,400m of partitioning is 17 times the height of the local Deansgate Square tower.
- Off-site manufacture commenced on day one and included the 3.4 kilometres of partition system and building services gantry framework carrying 7.24 kilometres of medical gas pipe.
- Flooring contractors across the North West region worked together to complete the 14,500m2 laid inside of the first week.
- Partition installation teams followed, and the 3.4 kilometres were erected within days with a workforce of over 50 in two shifts working round the clock 24/7.
- Oxygen systems were a major challenge. We had six lorries making a continuous circuit collecting pipework, delivering it to the factory for offsite manufacturing and taking finished framework sections to site and then returning to the supplier to begin again. In the second week we had a team installing 30 metres of medical gas pipe every 150 seconds – by day nine all the beds were connected.
- The teamwork, culture and commitment are an exemplar in what can be achieved. The solution drove the process and everything else followed and empowered everyone to deliver.
NHS Nightingale Hospital, Jersey
We worked on the Jersey Nightingale Hospital alongside our J3 Ltd joint venture partners Garenne and FES. This was the only greenfield, whole hospital development of the Nightingale programme, and within the first 48 hours of our appointment we had reviewed the suitability of 14 potential locations and developed the evaluation criteria to demonstrate the suitability of the selected site.
Located at Millbrook Playing Field our work has enabled an additional 180 beds for coronavirus patients and included assembly of an aluminium frame and semi-rigid panels used to create the temporary building.
The 150 metres by 30 metres building was designed to allow medical teams to work as efficiently as possible. The space allowed for six 30-bed wards and areas to admit and discharge patients, as well as staff rest and changing facilities, X-rays, equipment storage, laundry and a morgue.
Preston UCLAN – Nightingale Ward
Under the ProCure22 Framework, IHP also delivered the Preston UCLAN Nightingale ward.
Located within the University of Central Lancashire campus and described as a ‘mini-Nightingale’ the facility can house up to 130 step up/step down/step across patient beds to help in the fight against COVID-19 and assist in the demands being placed upon the regional hospitals.
The ability to mobilise at speed was essential with the design developed as a team (including representatives from NHS, IHP, IES and Gilling Dod Architects).
The installation presented the team with several complex challenges with the dedication of the whole site team who worked tirelessly over a 14-day period ensuring it was successfully handed over on time. A high level of collaboration and true team working was essential to the success of this very special fast track scheme.
Building of the Year
NHS Nightingale North West Hospital was shortlisted for “Building of the Year” Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce Award
Building Magazine 2020 “Proud to Help” Award
The Jersey Nightingale won the Building Magazine 2020 “Proud to Help” Award
New Year's Honours
J3 Nightingale Project Director Marc Burton awarded an MBE in the new years honours list
Modernising mental health facilities in South LondonSector: HealthcareLocation: London
Delivering award winning Maggie's SouthamptonSector: HealthcareLocation: South
Building new healthcare facilities at St Ann’s HospitalSector: HealthcareLocation: London