- Client: Prime Development
- Sector: Leisure
- Value: £60m
- Location: London
- Service: Construction Support
- Completion date: 2012
Working to a tight schedule, we maximised the programme by working in two directions, excavating the building’s six levels below ground while developing and fitting-out the floors above.
Creating opulent interiors with gold mosaic, black marble, onyx and highly polished steel, we worked closely with client and suppliers to monitor quality and achieve immaculate finishes.
The resulting six-star hotel offers the height of luxury in “a perfect expression of the Bulgari aesthetic”.
The excavation and formation of the building’s basement levels was undertaken simultaneously with construction of the 10-storey superstructure above.
Reusing and recycling
Two thirds of the 26,000m3 of excavated material was reused off-site. The high-quality materials used generated a higher than usual amount of packaging waste which was responsibly segregated around the clock.
Keeping everyone safe
To ensure high levels of health and safety whilst excavating, the basement air quality was monitored and dust removed. To make sure staff could evacuate safely and quickly in the event of an emergency, we developed and tested measures with London Fire Brigade.
While construction carried on below, we created mock-ups of a guest room, façade panels and key areas in the hotel
With these we were able to:
- Show proposed works to the client and agree finishes, décor and layouts
- Explore potential cost-savings through alternative materials
- Procure fixtures and fittings according to their final requirements
- Communicate quality standards to suppliers through 3D illustrations
- Test and perfect decorative techniques in areas like the lobby